Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Listening to News from London


I was listening to news from London - the G20 made the headlines with all the protests.
.
It seems such a faraway place these days. It's now several years since I've been there. I pulled up some old photo's and liked this one of Trafalgar Square with all the patches of blue. London can look such a beautiful city in photo's yet it always seems so noisy and dirty in reality. It has great art galleries though. I miss the art galleries. The Tate Modern is one of my favourite spaces on the planet.
.
When I was about nine years old my family took a day trip to London by train. It was summer and a long hot day. We caught a train at 5.30 a.m. and didn't get home until 11.00p.m. We ate soggy cheese and tomato sandwiches and drank warm lemon-barley juice because we didn't have enough money for museums AND restaurant food.
.
We saw Downing Street and St. James Park, Buckingham Palace and the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum and Madame Tussauds...all in one day! We walked for miles...or so it seemed to me.
.
At some point I recall standing in Trafalgar Square, my neck stretched back as far as it would go to look at Nelson way up there. While I was absorbing history my brother was busy feeding MY sandwiches to the pigeons. And the day was so hot that all I wanted to do was to paddle in the fountains - but my parents wouldn't allow it (something to do with pigeon poop!)
.
I still haven't paddled in the fountains in Trafalgar Square.
Maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment